Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Beautiful Windy City...

Hello everyone!!  We just got back from Chicago where we spent a three-day weekend enjoying the "windy city"!!  I love big cities and this one is definitely at the top of my list!  The architecture and history just blew me away...I absolutely love the way that historical buildings and new modern ones create this seamless skyline that is so beautiful to see and to walk among.  We stayed in a fabulous hotel near Michigan Avenue (which is right in the heart of shopping and restaurant districts)...I loved all the high-end shops that lined the streets - it made me feel so metropolitan!!  I was able to spend some time in a Nordstrom Rack (Nordstrom clothes for greatly discounted prices) for the first time and also Filene's Basement.  Then there was American Apparel, H & M, and Topshop...none of which I had been in before!  So much fun...my sweet husband was so supportive of me and so patient.  He is the one who came up with this trip in the first place because he knows that I really enjoy big cities even though he is not so crazy about them!  He is so thoughtful and loves to see me happy!
We were able to meet up with some of my honey's friends from high school who live in Chicago for dinner one evening.  We had a lot of fun and enjoyed some really yummy food.  On Saturday we went on a hop on/ hop off trolley tour of the city and then sent to see the Blue Man Group's show that evening!  So fun to see the sights that I've heard about all my life, like the Sears tower!  On Sunday, we continued the trolley tour and stopped at the Navy Pier and also took an architectural tour by boat through the city.  
This trip was so much fun and I am so grateful that God has us in a place in our lives where we are able to see so many wonderful places!!   
Here are some (actually, there are a lot of) pictures from the trip:



Here's our hotel room...it had a marble bathroom with huge shower and soaking tub!



This was the view from our room!


Here is the trolley that we toured the city on.  So convenient and so much fun!


We are sitting on the top deck of one of the double-decker trolleys.

The Sears Tower...look at us in one of the "sky decks" at the top!!


View from the Sears Tower on the 103rd floor!


Looking down...yikes!



We visited the Adler Planetarium...and watched a 3-D show on telescopes!


We then visited the Shedd Aquarium and I found the adorable fellow all "poofed up"!


This little guy cracked us up because he has his feet crossed like Ms. Penelope likes to do!


A sea lion showing us his tricks.


Here's my honey posing with a sea otter...aren't they cute?



There were Beluga whales doing tricks which was incredible to see!  This guy was waving goodbye with his tail!


"The Bean" at Millennium Park...such a fun sculpture!





The above pictures were all of my honey and me with the bean.


We went to see the Blue Man Group and got our picture with one of them...kinda creepy!


View from the top of the John Hancock Observatory at the top of the Hancock building!


The above pic and the two below are from the Navy Pier...its basically a huge pier that has been turned into an amusement/entertainment complex!  Its really amazing and has a lot of history.



I had no idea my honey was being crazy behind me :)


Us with the beautiful downtown behind us!


This is a picture from the boat we were on for our architectural tour...its amazing to be able to ride right through downtown on a boat!



We saw this place on our way to Chicago and just had to have a picture of it since it epitomizes Wisconsin - The Mousehouse Cheese Factory!!

Love to all,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment